Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 2002 21:34:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@artlogix.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: I KINDLY NEED YOUR ASSISTANCE

On 6 Aug 2002, Ken McGlothlen wrote:
> Ganesh Kumar <alganesh@m-net.arbornet.org> writes:
> | But the problem is with "communication". When I was taking care of mail
> | servers, we got spam(and email bombs too) from a particular webhost. But
> | making the admin understand our problem was a pain for me ! (bcos, it
> | originated from taiwan )
>
> In most cases, I don't block unless there's a significant problem getting the
> offending ISP to take the complaint seriously.  After blocking some fifty or
> sixty hosts in South Korea and China, I finally had to get proactive.  It's not
> really up to me to convince them that there's a problem; I figure if their
> customers can't send mail where they wish, that eventually they'll realize that
> *they* have a problem that needs to be addressed.
>
> Nobody likes being on an isolated intranet, and I think that should be the
> natural consequence of being an inconsiderate netizen.
>
> | If someone can block the legitimate spams to the list (from freebsd group)
> | atleast and prevent mails from that address alone ,would save us :)
>
> Well, I don't think the FreeBSD lists should necessarily be as aggressive about

Hello - just wanted to chime in my two-cents, seeing as this thread has an
ALL CAPS Subject line *sarcastic, cynical grin*

It isn't so much a matter of our beloved list(s) becoming aggressive, per
se, but I think with so much cool technology and CGI coding techniques,
you'd think there would be a way to strike out spams as you go to read your
Inbox, if not block receipt of them.

Was that at all clear?

For example, I just glimpsed two emails in a row on this list about COPYING
DVDS INSTANTLY or some crap.  I wish there were a way for list members to
go to the FreeBSD website and mail lists area, enter their own email
address, copy/paste the entire line of the "Message-ID:" (because all spams
have one I assume), then click a submit button saying something like [Start
a Spam Report].

The cgi script would email a one-time token, either a URL for the reporter
to click on or some kind of long mangled horribly unique subject line for
the reporter to reply back with.

> spam as I've been---but I have to admit that I wouldn't mind.  If I were a
> customer of some ISP, and I lost a valuable resource because my ISP was
> ineffective at controlling spam from their site, I'd switch ISPs.  Eventually,
> the ISP would get the hint.

ISPs do not get the hint.  I worked at one (good one) for nearly three
years and we constantly dealt with OTHER sites that were terribly lax.

A dollar is a dollar.  :(

PS - Oops, this isn't directly about FreeBSD questions, apologies.

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder