Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 1999 17:55:05 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        stephen@math.missouri.edu (Stephen Montgomery-Smith)
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Year 2000

As I recall, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> Chad R. Larson wrote:
> >
> > The computer industry seems to have shortened "Year 2000" to "Y2K".
> > Isn't that the kind of thinking that got us into this mess in the
> > first place?
>
> While  we are on the subject, as I understand it, UNIX has a year 2038
> problem coming up.  After we get through the Y2K hurdle, shouldn't we
> start to seriously tackle the year 2038 problem?  I know it seems a
> long way off, but then 2000 seemed a long way off in 1960.
>
> Just wondering if the internet will face serious problems in 2038
> because of all the `old' unix software still running it.

I believe the assumption is that within 30 years, UNIXs will have
moved time_t from a "long" to a "long long" (or "quad" or whatever).
Most the commercial vendors (HP-UX, Solaris) have already done this as
part of their 64-bit UNIX initiatives.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com chad@larsons.org chad@anasazi.com larson1@home.net