Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 1995 15:29:41 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org, se@MI.Uni-Koeln.DE
Subject:   Re: Sharing interrupts with PCI devices?

>This results in low overhead operation
>in the non shared case, and in interrupts
>masked for as short a period of time as
>possible in the shared case.

>*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

>I will apply the PCI SHARED INTERRUPT patch
>tomorrow. All PCI device drivers will have
>been checked to conform to the return value
>convention described above !

This results in a higher overhead operation
in the non-shared case :-].  What about
generic drivers like isa/bt742a.c?  Does
the new requirement give higher overhead
in the non-shared ISA (VLB) case?

The overheads are relatively _very_ small for
devices that transfer large blocks so I'm not
worried about the overheads for bt742a.

Bruce