Date:      Sat, 3 Oct 1998 12:36:24 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, bright@hotjobs.com, mike@smith.net.au
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Code freeze and Beta or business as usual? (was: ELF kernel?)

On Saturday,  3 October 1998 at 12:24:43 +1000, Bruce Evans wrote:

>>> Perhaps Sunday or so.  There are a few variables left, but no more than
>>> a couple of days before it's ready.
>
> First Sunday after the release?
>
>> Oh.  What does that mean for LKMs?
>>
>> Isn't this a bit late in the Beta to start changing kernel formats?
>
> Yes, it is (current date - start of beta) too late.

I do agree with Mike that this stuff is worth doing.  It's also worth
getting CAM into the system.  It's also worth redoing the boot code.
It's also necessary to convert the LKMs into KLDs.  All of this is
happening, and on the face of it, that's good.

What's not good is that we're calling this "Beta test", and we're
still planning to release 3.0 in 12 days time.  This is not a Beta
test; at best, it's an integration test, but there's so much new code
going into the tree that it's difficult to even call it that.

I know that from my point of view, if we release 3.0 with an ELF
kernel, I need to get down and do a lot (well, a non-trivial amount)
of work.  This is the first I've heard that I need to do this before
release.  Others may not even find out in time.

I think we should do all this work.  When we've done what needs to be
done, we freeze the code ("no new functionality"), and test it.  Then
we release the software.

Greg