Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 2015 14:28:16 +0200
From:      Egoitz Aurrekoetxea <egoitz@sarenet.es>
To:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz_lst@tdx.co.uk>
Cc:        xen@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Poor network performance with Xen + OpenVPN?

Hi!

Have you disabled tso, lro and friends?.

Regards,

Egoitz Aurrekoetxea
Departamento de sistemas
944 209 470
Parque Tecnol=C3=B3gico. Edificio 103
48170 Zamudio (Bizkaia)
egoitz@sarenet.es <mailto:egoitz@sarenet.es>
www.sarenet.es <http://www.sarenet.es/>;
Antes de imprimir este correo electr=C3=B3nico piense si es necesario =
hacerlo.

> El 29/7/2015, a las 8:47, Karl Pielorz <kpielorz_lst@tdx.co.uk> =
escribi=C3=B3:
>=20
>=20
> Hi All,
>=20
> A while ago I ran into an issue with FreeBSD + Xen and networking =
(where FreeBSD PVHVM domU's can't "route" traffic to/from other domU's =
(fbsd/linux/windows) - e.g. as a default gateway).
>=20
> I seem to have run into what appears to be another network issue now  =
- XenServer 6.5-SP1 +hotfixes, with FreeBSD 10.1-p4 (as PVHVM), and =
OpenVPN 2.3.7
>=20
> Everything 'works OK' - but the performance is pretty poor. Most =
noticeable - if you have a browser open fetching pages via the VPN - the =
pages arrive very slowly, and any ssh sessions etc. are instantly put on =
a 'go slow', you also start getting ping timeouts when pinging hosts the =
other side of the VM/VPN until the pages are fetched.
>=20
> Swap back to a bare metal system (on the same networks) - it works =
fine, switch back over to the VM - and again, performance is lousy.
>=20
> The host running OpenVPN isn't really under any load (it's only job is =
running OpenVPN) - nor is it's XenServer.
>=20
> If I connect to another OpenVPN host which is running on an HVM =
FreeBSD 9.1 domU - performance is indistinguishable from the bare metal =
(as you'd expect considering the relatively low volumes of traffic over =
the VPN etc.)
>=20
> Can anyone suggest any fixes / where to look to try and keep it as =
PVHVM, and get the performance back? - as we've already got a collection =
of HVM machines (to work round the other network problem) - which I =
don't really want to add to, as they're not agile :(