Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2012 12:42:45 -0400
From:      Ryan Stone <rysto32@gmail.com>
To:        Sushanth Rai <sushanth_rai@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel memory usage

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 9:26 PM, Sushanth Rai <sushanth_rai@yahoo.com> wrote=
:
> I was trying to co-relate the o/p from "top" to that I get from vmstat -z=
. I don't have any user programs that wires memory. Given that, I'm assumin=
g the wired memory count shown by "top" is memory used by kernel. Now I wou=
ld like find out how the kernel is using this "wired" memory. So, I look at=
 dynamic memory allocated by kernel using "vmstat -z". I think memory alloc=
ated via malloc() is serviced by zones if the allocation size is <4k. So, I=
'm not sure how useful "vmstat -m" is. I also add up memory used by buffer =
cache. Is there any other significant chunk I'm missing ? Does vmstat -m sh=
ow memory that is not accounted for in vmstat -z.

All allocations by malloc that are larger than a single page are
served by uma_large_malloc, and as far as I can tell these allocations
will not be accounted for in vmstat -z (they will, of course, be
accounted for in vmstat -m).  Similarly, all allocations through
contigmalloc will not be accounted for in vmstat -z.