Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 1999 23:08:01 -0400
From:      bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Silo Overflows (AGAIN!)

In article <99100621590100.17968@neo-dominion>,
ciro  <computerdeity@geocities.com> wrote:
: Everyone in the archives says "Don't worry too much about it" except it is VERY
: annoyig

It is something to be annoyed at. Every one of those is at least
one character lost. On your mouse that will mean erratic mouse
behavior. On a PPP connection, it means packet loss and thus
delays and throughput problems. And it can be *really* annoying on
straight text connections.

More annoying, *it isn't necessary*. Way back when I had a mere
'486/33, the serial driver I wrote (for FreeBSD) was perfectly
capable of handling high speed lines without character loss.

Since my serial driver was written for FreeBSD 1.something, it
probably won't even compile, much less run, on a modern FreeBSD.
If I had the time, I'd port it but I don't...however, if someone
wants to update my driver and get it included in FreeBSD, I'll be
happy to donate the code and advice.

: If no one knows how to fix it, does anyone have any idea as to how to supress
: the messages?

man syslogd
man syslog.conf

: Another question... Am I crazy, or is sio0 == COM1... if so, why the heck is my
: MOUSE making my computer angry?

sio0 == COM1. And I couldn't tell you.