Date:      Thu, 13 Aug 1998 11:16:00 -0500
From:      "Jay" <jlwest@tseinc.com>
To:        "Ronald Kuehn" <kuehn@rz.tu-clausthal.de>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Amanda 2.4.0p1 and FreeBSD 2.2.7

Ah - problem solved.

On amanda230 all that is required is the .rhosts. On 240p1 (and depending on
the build options) the .amandahosts file is consulted instead.

I used the stock port for amanda24, and it apparently compiles with the
options to IGNORE .rhosts, and only uses .amandahosts. I was re-reading the
man page on amanda and noticed the second part of the phrase I missed
before - ".... allow access from the tape server host as this user via
.rhosts or .amandahosts" and then the part I just noticed "depending on how
the Amanda software was built".

Adding my backup host AND userid to .amandahosts fixed the problem.

Thanks so much for everyone who offered suggestions!

Jay West