Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 1999 09:26:57 +0000
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Video works, Audio not on my new Hauppauge WinTV

Hauppauge problems and 2.2.8-STABLE

Andre Albsmeier wrote:
> Any hints what I can try? Maybe Roger knows a solution...

Yes, I know the solution to all your problems :-)
1) Driver version.
The version of the bt848/bt878 driver in 2.2.8-STABLE is really really
old. It does not support bt878s at all.
So, I have ported the 3.0-RELEASE driver to 225/226/227/228/22-stable
This can be found at ftp://telepresence.dmem.strath.ac.uk/pub/bt848/228

The driver from 3.0-RELEASE (ported to 228) DOES NOT support
audio on the Hauppauge cards with MSP34xx stereo audio chips
here in Europe.

So, I recently added support for the MSP34xx audio chip and placed
this in my Development Test Drivers (beta driver).
You see this with the debugging output "Detected a MSP3410D-B4"

2) DMESG.
Well, for device probing, the new driver picks out the IR Remote
Control and the MSP34xx chip.
Both drivers you tested report this

"pci0:12:1: vendor=0x109e, device=0x0878, class=multimedia (misc) int a
irq 11 [no driver assigned]"

It is the audio capture hardware in the bt878. we do not use it
in FreeBSD. The hardware was added by Brooktree (now called Rockwell)
to allow Video+Audio capture in one card without the need for a
sound card.

As for "Phillips FI 1215MK2", the driver does know which tuner
you have, but it prints the wrong string "PAL I" on your screen.
The PAL I string should really say PAL (or PAL/BG)

> while downloading the files stated above from
> telepresence.dmem.strath.ac.uk:
This is strange. This is my ftp site, and I upload the files with
ftp. There should be no ^Ms.

Are you downloading the files in Windows or in Unix.
If you are downloading them in Windows, the problem is that
they are Unix ASCII files.
DOS/Windows and Unix store the "end of line" marker differently
and each system reads the other's files but with ^M.