Date:      Thu, 25 Nov 1999 19:48:18 GMT
From:      "Terry Rudy" <terry_rudy@hotmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   getty errors on reboot

Hi folks, I had my system running for a couple days and just rebooted it
after recompiling the kernel to recognize my tape drive.  Upon restart
everything seems to get init'd correctly (even new tape drive) but as its
just about to get me at a prompt, I see:

cp: /var/run/_motd no such file or directory
init: can't exec 'getty' /usr/libexec/getty' for port /dev/ttyv0:
No such file or directory
.
.
.
thru ttyv7

Every 30 seconds, these will repeat again, into infinity it seems.  If i go
back to kernel.old or kernel.GENERIC then I keep getting the same errors.  I
could find no helpful information to this problem in the handbook or in
mailing list archives.

I just rebooted my system last night and got in with no problems.  I find
this particularly troubling because it fails with kernel.old and
kernel.GENERIC.

I appreciate the helpful responses I got to my tape drive queries - thanks
again for the help.
thanks!!
-terry