Date:      Mon, 4 Nov 2002 10:02:50 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>
To:        n_hibma@van-laarhoven.org (Nick Hibma)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, phk@critter.freebsd.dk, imp@bsdimp.com
Subject:   Re: umass CF geometry problems, was Re: fdisk -BI ob clean disk broken

> USB is only the transport. It doesn't add or remove functionality (the
> only exception being probing for LUNs on CBI devices). If you want to
> determine the geometry you will have to do this through SCSI commands. I
> was hoping that the CAM code would be smart enough to request the
> details from the drive itself, but perhaps there is a good reason for
> asking the controller for this.
>
> It did work without, so it hasn't been implemented yet. Feel free to
> suggest a SCSI command together with the logic.
>
> What is the GET_GEOMETRY used for anyway?

Well the short version of the problem is that "fdisk -BI <disk>" works
on -stable to get a FreeBSD partition on the Compact Flash. This does
not work on -current anymore. I have traced that back to the commit
in umass.c rev 1.61 that removed the fake geometry setting and just
leave the cylinders, heads and sectors_per_track zero. This cause
fdisk to coredump with a floating point error.

> > In message: <84292.1036393958@critter.freebsd.dk>
> >             Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk> writes:
> > : We should obviously fix it.  I have no idea what is possible in USB
> > : devices in this respect.
> >
> > Nor do I.  Maybe there's some SCSI command that we can send that is
> > well defined enough to work often enough.
> >
> > However, I'm not clueful enough about SCSI to know if this can be done
> > (likely reading some mode page will do it in real SCSI), nor about
> > USB's mass storage devices, nor about all the wonderful and weird
> > variations that one might find in the wild...

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@icomtek.csir.co.za / jhay@FreeBSD.org