Date:      Fri, 9 Oct 1998 19:23:50 +1000
From:      "Justin Clift" <vapour@digitaldistribution.com>
To:        <freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG>, <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   *very* important addition to the installation instructions

Hiyas,

I've had a significant amount of trouble installing FreeBSD onto an old 486
system I'm had hanging around for ages.  Finally though, I solved the
problem, and found out what caused it.

I think this problem is common enough to warrant inserting this additional
one-sentence entry into the installation instructions...

"If you have to boot with '-c' on a first time install, DO NOT remove the
Syscon Console Driver even if it displays as a conflict.  This will leave
you with a blank screen and no installation."

I think that sums it up, when doing a first time install with hardware set
to IRQ's etc which are different than expected, the installation
instructions advise to do a boot -c.  This then says to get rid of all the
'conflicts' and press Q after that.

I did.

No display... system hang.

:-(

It's only NON-OBVIOUS because the format of the Visual configuration editor
makes everything look like it's a piece of hardware.... the Syscon Console
Driver does and doesn't fall under this category, and when it's listed next
to the mouse options looks like a weird abstract bit of hardware I don't
have installed.

I hope you guys do actually insert this statement into the installation
docs.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

+ Justin Clift