Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 2002 17:50:20 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   gettext vs portupgrade

Just an observation:

We have gettext and gettext-old, both of which could be installed
on the same system at the same time.  I think this goes against
what portupgrade is expecting, because in many cases a component
named xyzzy-old (or -devel) would not be installed if component
xyzzy is already installed.

In any case, if you have gettext installed, and you do not have
gettext-old installed, then there seems to be no way to tell
portupgrade to install gettext-old.  I am too tired to spend time
trying a lot of things, though, so eventually I just cd'ed into
/usr/ports/devel/gettext-old and did the make ; make install by
hand.

Once both ports were installed, then portupgrade seemed to handle
the both of them OK.  Although it was a bit odd that I did a
'portupgrade -f gettext', and it built both ports without asking
me for which one I wanted to rebuild.