Date:      Sat, 24 Feb 2001 16:20:35 +0800 (+0800)
From:      Michael Robinson <robinson@netrinsics.com>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SUMMARY [Re: Dell Inspiron 5000e vs. Chembook 3015A vs. Compal N38W2...]

David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org> writes:
>Note:  I fetched that GIF image of John's, and xv reports that its
>dimensions really are 1600x1200.  FWIW....

The Dell 1600x1200 LCD is most assuredly 1600x1200.  I've wanted a screen that
can display three unobscured terminal windows in a row for the longest time,
and now I've finally got one.

>So far, it looks as if I configure a system with a 750 MHz Mobile PIII,
>256 MB RAM, the 1400x1050 15.1" screen, a 20 GB disk, and go with a
>plain CD-ROM drive, an extra battery, and a port replicator, that should
>come to about $2285 + tax, shipping, &c.  (That's with the default
>1-year warranty.  I don't know of any software for making constructive
>use of DVDs, so I don't see any point in paying more money for something
>that I could only use as a CD-ROM drive anyhow.)

I've found that the CD-RW drive is more useful than I ever imagined it would
be, and it works flawlessly under FreeBSD.  It gets much more use than the
DVD drive in my 770X ever did.

	-Michael Robinson