Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 1997 15:36:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tell the world about Year 2000 Compliance

On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Nate Williams wrote:

> > Finally, what's being done (if any?) to insure that FreeBSD _IS_ and
> > _REMAINS_ Year 2000 compliant... e.g. New packages/ports etc.
>
> The non-use of Cobol. :)

I was a little alarmed to find the "2000 compliant" banner.  On
what basis is the claim made other than the non-use of Cobol?
Some time back I grepped the source tree and found a number of
places where two digit dates were having 1900 blindly added to
them--the internal representation was okay, but stored
representations may have problems.  These may not be serious
problems and they may not be widespread, but I find it a little
disturbing how frequently Unixheads brush aside the problem as
something that only affects other systems.  That sort of
arrogance is bound to backfire at some point.

Has anyone actually set their system clock forward and done
extensive testing?

-john