Date:      Mon, 18 Jun 2012 08:26:31 -0600
From:      Chad Perrin <code@apotheon.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: custom license on new port?

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 06:57:28AM -0400, Michael Scheidell wrote:
> got a new port. submitted by the copyright owner and author.
> for reference, pr ports/168832
>
> there is no LICENSE= in the Makefile, no LICENSE.txt in the
> distribution, but it does have the attached in the main.c file.
>
> Q: should I ask him to select one of the standard FreeBSD/GPL
> licenses (and edit his source )?

Why would you try to pressure him into changing the license?

As already pointed out, the license used is not a "custom" or
"nonstandard" license, but even if it was I do not think the ports system
needs to be in the business of deciding that some license that is not
already well-represented in the ports system is not "good enough" on the
basis of its relative lack of popularity alone.