Date:      Tue, 26 Apr 2011 09:34:24 -0700
From:      Charlie Kester <corky1951@comcast.net>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: saving a few ports from death

On Mon 25 Apr 2011 at 22:55:10 PDT Ade Lovett wrote:

>On Apr 25, 2011, at 21:41 , Charlie Kester wrote:
>> Maybe freshports could implement a voting system like the one at
>> osx.iusethis.com?
>
>"Voting" implies some kind of democracy.

I just thought it might be useful to get some actual data to support the
inference that an unmaintained port is likely to be an unused and
therefore unneeded port.

I have no objection to your argument that what gets done is what someone
is willing to do.  And I am sensitive to the fact that every port
imposes some additional burden on the system.  I'm all for cleaning out
the cruft.

I'm not a web programmer and don't have access to the freshports
sourcecode. So all I can do there is make a suggestion. But perhaps I'll
take some time to go through the list of unmaintained ports and manually
check them against the popularity ratings on a site like freshmeat.
It's a bit of a leap to assume that a program that's popular on Linux
will be as popular on BSD, but it's the best data we have for the time
being.