Date:      Sat, 15 Sep 2001 03:13:04 -0400
From:      Brodie Hynes <bsdml@comphydro.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   successful 4.4rc4 install on dec 3305

Just wanted to report a successful install booting from cd from srm
for freebsd4.4rc4 iso on a digital server 3305.

The only thing that confused me was, when I recompiled the kernel,
a la Mar 8, 2001 version of
http://www.schlacter.dyndns.org/public/FreeBSD-STABLE_and_IPFILTER.html

the mcpu flag for cc was set to ev4. (-mcpu=ev4) (saw it scroll by as the
kernel compiled) though I had commented out EV4 in the kernel config file.
(leaving 'cpu EV5' and 'options DEC_1000A')
Being a newbie, this confused me, as I was expecting ev5 or ev56.
Unfortunately the man page for cc only discussed i386 flags.
Is this significant?  Things seem to be running fine....

Many thanks.

-Brodie

P.S.: Additional thanks to all those who had the discussion about using
camcontrol to change HD sector size back in mid-april.  It was on the
freebsd-scsi list, but there were familiar names :)  Now that cheap scsi
drive I just got works.