Date:      Wed, 8 Aug 2001 20:34:45 +0100
From:      Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
To:        Jorge Biquez <jbiquez@icsmx.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: RC file DAMAGED OR HACKED?

On Wednesday 08 August 2001  8:28 pm, Jorge Biquez wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I received a call from a friend that like me is also learning FreeBSD. He
> has version 4.2 and was working without problems. He decided to rester his
> machine doing the normal following command:
>
> 	shutdown -r now
>
> after checking memory and that stuff the machine is sending this messages:

Hmm, all those words are present in the standard /etc/rc. Is it possible that
your friend may have opened /etc/rc in some weird text editor and then saved
it again?

Check your version against
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/etc/rc?rev=1.212.2.8&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&only_with_tag=RELENG_4_2_0_RELEASE

which is the /etc/rc which you should have.

Hope this helped.

--
Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
http://sour.cream.org