Date:      Wed, 08 Dec 2004 19:59:11 -0800
From:      Sean McNeil <sean@mcneil.com>
To:        Jeremy Messenger <mezz7@cox.net>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: why only abiword in preferred applications?

--=-+U6k4zecWXQgK5aX1h0u

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 21:52 -0600, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 19:45:58 -0800, Sean McNeil <sean@mcneil.com> wrote:
>=20

> >> Editor
> >> Nothing

> >> file
> >> be. I
> >> mimetype
> >>
> >> This has nothing to do with abiword having a text/plain mimetype.  Tha=
> >> is perfectly legitimate to have more than one program that can handle =
> >> particular kind of file.
> >>
> >> I found the root cause why gedit wasn't in my selector.  It was missin=
> >> in the mimeinfo.cache.  I did an update-desktop-database and that got =
it
> >> into the selector.  But now I cannot select it and have it stay.
> >>
> >> If I select "Text Editor", which is the gedit.desktop Name, it will no=
> >> stay.  There must be some issue with gconf2 not being able to save my
> >> selection so it always chooses the first one in the mimeinfo.cache.
> >
> > Sorry to reply to my own message, but...
> >
> > I took a look at my .xsession-errors and bingo!  Here is the error when
> > running from a terminal:
> >
> > [sean@server sean]$ gnome-default-applications-properties
> >
> > (gnome-default-applications-properties:65144): libgnomevfs-WARNING **:
> > Deprecated function.  User modifications to the MIME database are no
> > longer supported.
> >
> > So for some reason when I try to select the editor it is trying to
> > update the MIME database.
>=20
> Can you show us your pkg_info or `ls /var/db/pkg`? Are there any chance =20
> that your apps aren't up to date?

I can send that, but it is huge.  Please let me know if you feel it
necessary.  All packages are up-to-date as of Today.  Also, I should say
that your method of changing it in nautilus works perfectly and when I
bring up the control center again it shows that it is selected.  So,
nautilus is doing the right thing and control center is broken when it
tries to set it.  It can read it just fine, though.

Thanks,
Sean

--=-+U6k4zecWXQgK5aX1h0u

--=-+U6k4zecWXQgK5aX1h0u--