Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 18:35:41 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Wayne M. Barnes" <wayne@barnes1.wustl.edu>
Subject:   passwd,send-pr,lprm broke in 3.1 (fwd)

Dear Stablizers,

    OH NO!  Now I have TWO systems with bad passwd, send-pr.

    This system was okay at 3.0, so I thought it had dodged the passwd
bullet, and it would be safe to upgrade to today's 3.1-stable.
(by doing a 'make world' and building a new kernel)

Wrong.  Now it too has been infected with the problem.

   Everybody please try to change your password with 'passwd', and
try to start the 'send-pr' program.  On my two 3.1 systems (upgraded
by_the_book) from 2.2.8, now these two commands (and, on one and only
one of my 2 systems, lprm) just hang and do nothing.  Is it
really only me with this problem?

   I did a vipw and got fresh dates for my pwd.db and spwd.db files,
but no change to the hanging of passwd.

----- message from Wayne M. Barnes -----