Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2001 12:05:20 +0100 (BST)
From:      George Reid <greid@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ernst de Haan <ernst@jollem.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Supporting pkg-plist.gz ?

On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Ernst de Haan wrote:

> Wouldn't it be a good idea to modify the ports system to support a gzipped
> pkg-plist file, and perhaps others too? I'm working on a port for the JDK 1.2
> documentation, and the pkg-plist file is 300 K !!! Even if ppl would not
> install this port, the 300 K would still be used.

No. The files need to be in a 7-bit clean form to allow for the various
distribution methods. This would mean uuencoding the gzipped
files (which will impact the effect of compression anyway, although
not in itself enough to discard the idea). I did a quick test with the
first page of the handbook in text format. A single character was added to
the handbook.

$ ls -l handbook
-rw-------   1 greid    greid       11372 Jun  1 11:49 handbook
-rw-------   1 greid    greid       11373 Jun  1 11:50 handbook.new
$ gzip handbook handbook.new; ls -l handbook.gz handbook.new.gz
-rw-------   1 greid    greid        3565 Jun  1 11:49 handbook.gz
-rw-------   1 greid    greid        3571 Jun  1 11:50 handbook.new.gz
$ uuencode handbook.gz - > handbook.gz.uu; \
	uuencode handbook.new.gz - > handbook.new.gz.uu
$ ls -l handbook.*.uu
-rw-r--r--   1 greid    greid        4947 Jun  1 11:50 handbook.gz.uu
-rw-r--r--   1 greid    greid        4959 Jun  1 11:51 handbook.new.gz.uu
$ diff -u handbook.gz.uu handbook.new.gz.uu | wc -l
     167

...so this single character addition to one page the handbook results in a
167-line diff. With the same file, uncompressed and unencoded, the diff
would be two lines.

> We could decrease the space needed for the ports collection dramatically,
> without sacrificing any i-nodes.

But in doing so we would increase the bloat of the CVS repository and
hence the time taken to update ports using various methods. It can only
really work effectively if the gzipped data is unlikely to change much, if
at all. Case in point: the compat libraries in src/lib/compat.