Date:      Sun, 16 Apr 2000 16:20:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@freebsd.org>
To:        Yoshihiro Ota <st96yb9t@drexel.edu>
Cc:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@freebsd.org>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/contrib/tcsh - Imported sources

On Sun, 16 Apr 2000, Yoshihiro Ota wrote:

> I just jumped into the mailing list because of the shell issue.
> (Mail archive was not available from March 26th to April 15th; are there any
> problems?)

Yes, no-one wants to admit to responsibility for fixing them; they've been
partly broken since 1999.

> Tcsh/bash or other shells are yet optional.  We have a really good system to
> install such optional software so called ports/packages.  We can install
> tcsh/bash or other shells in /bin or /local/bin ourselves by setting the
> PREFIX or some other possible ways.  So, why do we need tcsh in the root
> system?

tcsh is an updated version of csh, not a different piece of software. We
simply updated the old csh sources to the latest version, which happens to
go by a different name.

sh vs bash is a completely different issue.

Kris

----