Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 08:11:48 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum trouble

Thanks for your quick reply. I'll have another go at it today...

On 12-Jun-01 Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Tuesday, 12 June 2001 at 16:50:05 +0200, Micke Josefsson wrote:
>> After failing at "make world" with sources for 4_2_0_RELEASE trying to
>> upgrade
>> my 3.x-STABLE machine vinum seems to have lost its config:
>>

>> When other disks have been found clean is says:
>>
>> vinum kernel module not available
>
> Well, that's not exactly a lost config, is it?
>
>> So I kldload vinum.ko :
>> link_elf: symbol gd_proc not defined (I got a cvsw_dev(?) also at one time)
>
> Looks like you have a mismatch between your kernel and your modules.
> Given the situation you describe, that's not surprising.

I will try to extract a kernel and vinum.ko from my 4.2 CD and try again.

>> And still get:
>>
>> cant open dev/vinum/mirror: device not configured
>>
>> and it later prompts me to run fsck manually.
>>
>> What's up? Is there any way to rectify things?
>
> Yes.  If you're able to build the module, do so and install it.
> Otherwise the simplest thing is probably just to reboot with your 3.x
> kernel and repeat your build.

Unfortunately the 'make world' bailed out some time into the 'installworld'
part. Apparently the system got a signal 12 when installing 'sh' and later also
when installing 'test'. (At that point I was able to replace the 'sh' with one I
 had from my backups and 'make installworld' again. To no avail...) I ended up
with a system which not entirely 4.2 (but probably near to it) and not 3.x either
but a mix of the two. So I am unable to start a new make world since I cannot
access /usr, which is where vinum enters the scene.

>> (If I am going to pull back my backup I will probably skip vinum
>> this time)
>
> This has nothing to do with Vinum.  This is a broken upgrade.

Of course you are right about that, but having vinum appears (for now) to be the
only thing that stops me from accessing /usr and being able to cvsup 3.x-STABLE
and do another make world. Could I do that then I would try a shorter jump into
4.x, say 4.1.

This is no criticism of vinum. It has served well for over a year now. When
evaluating it I disconnected one of the drives and after half a second of
locomotion the other drive started pumping out data as if nothing had happened!
It really seems to work as such, I just gives me trouble when trying to upgrade,
which is not necessarily an easy task even without vinum.

>> BTW. A normal upgrade (with binaries) does not recognize vinum
>> drives, right?  I only saw da1s1e and da2s1e not the mirrored drive
>> they actually constitute.
>
> I'm not sure what this question means.

When doing an upgrade with my CD with 4.2 on it. I am passed to the disklabel
editor and prompted to insert mount points for my drives and partitions. There I
see the two drives that are mirrored but only as da2s1e and da2s2e (not as
/dev/vinum/rmirror). What shall I do? Is it ok to set the mount point to /usr for
both of them (or just one of them since they are mirrored)? Will
vinum see to the rest?