Date:      Thu, 16 May 2002 12:14:23 -0700
From:      Farooq Mela <fmela0@sm.socccd.cc.ca.us>
To:        Freebsd-Multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD & Webcams

Hello,

So far, I've been able to surmise that if you want to use a webcam on
FreeBSD, you have one of two options:

1) Use a webcam supported by cqcam, which includes the parallel port
versions of the Connectix Color QuickCams and Color Quickcam 2's.
Unfortunately these are hard to find these days.  AFAICT, it is only
possible to get them from e-bay etc.

2) Hook up a camcorder, X10 camera, or similar to a card supported by
the BKTR driver and use bktr2jpeg or similar to capture frames.  This
is my current setup and I find it to be less than optimal.

Are there any other options available?  Is somebody working on support
for any newer (USB) webcams?

--
Farooq

P.S. If anybody would like to sell/trade their cqcam-supported
QuickCam I might be interested.