Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 2004 14:50:22 -0600 (CST)
From:      Quincey Koziol <koziol@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-amd64 Digest, Vol 39, Issue 3

> On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 04:25:31PM -0600, Quincey Koziol wrote:
> > [ PGP not available, raw data follows ]

> > > Asus K8V deluxe, amd64 3200+, 1G RAM. Nothing weird going on at all. I started
> > > with a snapshot releease from november, got the cvsup-no-gui, updated, and
> > > have been tracking current since. I've never actually installed any of the
> > > - -RELEASEs that support amd64.
> >     Hmm, that's a single-CPU board, correct?  Mine is a dual-CPU board with
> > two opteron 240's installed.  I wonder if that's the problem... I may try to
> > build with a non-SMP kernel if this latest build still has the weird "slowness"
> > problem.
>
> You've got some very bad problems.
    Tell me about it! :-(

> First off, you shouldn't need to hack the 5.2.1 source at all to build.
> Second, I also have an MSI dual-processor Opteron (MSI-9131 K8D Master-F)
> system -- it is the one that built the 5.2.1 release.  I also have an
> Iwill DK8X dual-processor board.  Neither are _glacially_ slow.
    Hmm, I may just send this machine back and switch to "known good" hardware.
Which dual-Opteron motherboard would you recommend?  One of the two you have
or another one?

> The first thing to do is check that you have the latest BIOS.  Second is
> to tell the CPU and RAM (DDR what and CL what).  Next is post the output
> of "boot -v".
    Well, I did upgrade to the latest BIOS (from 1.0 to 1.1), but that didn't
help at all.  I have two Opteron 240's in the machine with two DDR2100 RAM
modules set to "auto" in the BIOS (but I tried the CAS 2 and CAS 2.5 manual
settings also, both of which didn't help).
    I went ahead and re-installed 5.1-RELEASE, grabbed the 5.2-CURRENT source
code from this morning and re-built everything.  This time, everything built
very smoothly (no hacking the Makefiles, etc.), but it now hangs before giving
me the problem for a shell (when booting in single-user mode, since I was trying
to finish the re-install procedure), so I can't get the output from "boot -v".
    I've tried changing the "MPS Version Control for OS" from 1.4 to 1.1 (as
I saw someone else had success with), but that didn't help either.
    Any further suggestions?  Do I have defective hardware?

        Thanks,
            Quincey