Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 2004 21:10:40 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Daniela <dgw@liwest.at>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.9-RELEASE doesn't recognize NIC

--KFztAG8eRSV9hGtP

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 08:54:28PM +0000, Daniela wrote:

> I'm installing FreeBSD 4.9 on a brand-new machine. The problem is that it=
=20
> doesn't recognize my network card, no matter what I do.
> The vendor ID is 10DE and the device ID is 0066 (the BIOS tells me these=
=20
> numbers).

That's an nVidia nForce2 Ethernet controller.

    http://pciids.sourceforge.net/iii/?i=3D10de

Should be supported to some extent (if you have the onboard MCP MAC
enabled) via the binary-only Linux driver: see the net/nvnet port.
You'll probably have to borrow another NIC in order to get the system
installed and then build yourself a kernel and install the net/nvnet
port after that.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20