Date:      Tue, 03 Oct 2006 12:11:34 -0400
From:      Tim Allender <freebsd-net@goldenpath.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: D-Link DGE-530T

Eygene Ryabinkin wrote:
>> I'm eyeing these lines from dmesg suspiciously:
>> pci0: <display, VGA> at device 8.0 (no driver attached)
>> pci0: <network, ethernet> at device 9.0 (no driver attached)
>>
> The last one is your NIC.
>

>> I'm posting the entire results you requested below.
>>
> <...cleared all but relevant lines...>
>
>> # uname -r
>> 6.1-RELEASE
>>
>> # pciconf -lv
>> none1@pci0:9:0: class=0x020000 card=0x4b011186 chip=0x4b011186 rev=0x11
>> hdr=0x00
>>    vendor   = 'D-Link System Inc'
>>    class    = network
>>    subclass = ethernet
>>
> This is the so-called revision-B1 chip, it is newer than the A1 that
> is included to the 6.1-RELEASE.
>
> So you have two routes:
> 1) upgrade to the RELENG-6 (currently it is 6.2-PRERELEASE),
> or
> 2) apply the patch given in the PR99903,
>    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=99903
>
> The latter patch is very simple, so probably it is the simplest thing
> to do: it just adds the new PCI-ID for the chip, chip description and
> 4 extra lines of code. Do you need directions how to apply the patch
> or how to upgrade to RELENG-6?

I've done that sort of upgrade a few times. I don't think the whole
system upgrade would be suitable, though,
when what I really want to accomplish is getting these NICs to work on
pfSense. It might turn out to be a good upgrade
for pfSense. Or, it might start breaking things. Or worse, ~look~ like
it's good with breakage laying-in-wait.

I'm probably better off doing the patch. Though, honestly, I've done
very little actual 1 on 1 patching.
If I remember right its:
# patch src-file < patch-file
(Maybe this'll be a good chance for me to sneak a peak at some real NIC
driver code to get an idea how it's done.)

I'll back up the original, read the man page and give it a shot.
After patching it, though, can I just compile that kernel module again?
# cc if_sk.c
(Would that be right?)

Or do I need to rebuild the whole kernel?

And, then, building it on one machine, would "transplanting" the newly
compiled driver to the pfSense router be as simple as coping the new .ko
file into place (assuming I can just do the module)
Or, what if I'd need to transplant the whole kernel?

Eygene, I greatly appreciate your help with this.
I find this all incredibly fascinating.
If I can make this leap into competence of patching fbsd source files,
I'll be that much closer to being able to actually contribute something
worth while.
I'm about 1/4 of the way through McKusick's "Design and Implementation"
and sometimes I just grit my teeth and keep plowing through it when it
starts getting crazy.
Little by little, it's all starting to make a little more sense each day =D