Date:      Mon, 11 Aug 1997 05:51:31 -0400
From:      "Joel N. Weber II" <devnull@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To:        andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu
Cc:        jmb@FreeBSD.ORG, hoek@hwcn.org, softweyr@xmission.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTC regulating use of registrations

   (The
   Constitutional question of separation of church and state is pretty
   much taken care of by giving the vouchers to the parents and not
   directly to the schools, although some people still consider it
   unconstitutional.)

My understanding is that the Constiution doesn't actually demand
a seperation of church and state; it's just htat some liberals would
like you to believe that.

Furthurmore, I think that the original arguement was that we wanted
to prevent the government from affecting the churches, not hte otherway
around.

   The argument against vouchers from the libertarian perspective is
   that it will lead to more government control of private schools, and
   in fact all schools will be subject to the same rules & regs that
   hamper public schools.

That may be true.  IIRC Consumers' Union, which publishes the magazine
Consumer Reports, was able to get a grant from the government to
produce an education TV show, but I think they ended up turning it
down, because it would have restricted their ability to lobby
the government for safety improvements that they consider necissary,
etc.

(It was within the last year or two; I don't know if I'm getting the
facts exactly straight.)

The League for Programming Freedom is a non-profit organization,
in the sense that I belive donataions to them are tax-deducable.
A new organziation that some of hte LPF people are involved in
forming (as well as others not involved in LPF) is called Union
for the Public Domain; I don't think that your donations to UPD
are going to be tax-deductable, because they want to be able to
send lobbyists to congress etc.

   I like the school voucher approach better than increasing the
   personal exemption, because it provides choice at all income
   levels.

I think we could do better though.  Becasue I think that some schools
will be too expensive for people.

OTOH, maybe if the expensive schools charge rich students extra,
and don't charge poor students anything beyond the voucher, we
might not have problems.  I'd be wary of the approah though;
it will likely lead to more government regulation.