Date:      Sun, 18 Mar 2001 14:34:55 -0800
From:      Soren Kristensen <soren@soekris.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   RFC: Very high density servers

Hi Everybody,

This might be a little off tropic, but let me ask anyway:

I'm working on designing a very high density server appliance, and
would really love some input from some potential users and sources
of authority.

Current design specs:

    Single 500-700 Mhz PIII/Celeron mobile processor
    Up to 1 Gbyte ECC SDRAM
    2 Ethernet ports
    CompactFlash for booting
    Up to 2 x 2.5" IDE drives, currently max 30 Gbyte/drive
    No CD-ROM, no floppy, no video
    Headless operation using serial port

    4 servers per 1U rack, 12" deep
    Hotplug of individual servers
    15-20W power per server
    Optional -48V power supply
    Optional redundant power supply in 2U and larger chassis
    Optional built dual ethernet switch with gigabit uplink

    Low cost

Is that something you would consider using ?

Anything you would like to add ?

Will disk performance be a limiting factor ?

Will CPU performance be a limiting factor ?

Does anybody use fancy management, like IPMI ?

Thanks,

Soren Kristensen