Date:      Sun, 6 Jan 2002 18:08:05 -0500
From:      parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
To:        Christopher Schulte <schulte+freebsd@nospam.schulte.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to tell if 'make buildworld' finished?

in message <5.1.0.14.0.20020106155107.023627c8@pop3s.schulte.org>,
wrote Christopher Schulte thusly...

> At 10:37 PM 1/6/2002 +0100, you wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I usually run a shell command like this ('#' is the prompt):
> ># (date; make buildworld; date) | tee /var/tmp/buildworld.log
>
> You can also look at the `script` command.  When executed, a new shell will
> begin and all output to terminal is stored in a file which can be checked
> after the fact.

christopher, i know about the command "script".  i avoid it whenever
i can for two reasons: (1) sometimes it's impossible to send SIGTSTP
(STOP signal from keyboard) and (2) control characters at the end of
line.

i use following syntax as appropriate...

# command >& log
# command > log 2>&1
# command | tee [-a] log

thanks anyway.