Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 12:43:54 +0000
From:      Christopher Raven <c.raven@ukonline.co.uk>
To:        Ryan Goeken <burnboy@wcic.cioe.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel

> Ryan Goeken wrote:
>
> I want to install FreeBSD to improve my unix skills. Someone told me
> that FreeBSD
> comes with a boot manager. Does that help if you have two OS's on
> the same
> computer? Does this allow you to switch back and fourth between the
> two?
> My brother said that having two OS's on one computer would mess up
> the
> kernel. Is he right? And if so, how can i prevent this from
> happening? Please help.
>
> --
> Ryan Goeken

FreeBSD comes with an optional boot manager. Yes, that allows you to
have multiple O.S.'s on same machine. You can NOT switch back and
forth in real time, but you can choose which one you wan't to boot to
when you start the machine (just pressing the function keys: F1, F2,
etc.,). Nothing should go wrong if you take the time to read the
instructions for this (http://www.freebsd.org/) BEFORE you try
installing FreeBSD. Also, install FreeBSD last as other O.S.'s are not
quite so clever and can make a bit of a mess.

Hope this helps,

Chris R.

--
Christopher Raven