Date:      Sat, 22 May 1999 17:25:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        damian@cablenet.net
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dlopen failure

In article <37458FF0.FC9B24C8@cablenet.net>,
Damian Hamill  <damian@cablenet.net> wrote:
> I have found the problem and it is a problem with make.  By chance I did
> an ls -l of the directory and noticed the shared object was only 371
> bytes and thought nooooooooo that can't be right.

Thanks for letting us know.  I'm glad it's solved now.

> My makefile sez.
>
> mysqlacc.so : mysqlacc.o
> 	ld -Bshareable -o $@ $< -u _floor ../../lib/libV.a ... {other libs}

By the way, don't use "ld -Bshareable" to build shared libraries.
Use "cc -shared".  There are some special .o files from /usr/lib
that need to be linked in, and "cc -shared" will do that for you
automatically.

John
  "Self-interest is the aphrodisiac of belief."           -- James V. DeLong