Date:      Wed, 11 Sep 2002 12:32:31 -0400
From:      Alan E <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@torrentnet.com>
Cc:        chuckr@chuckr.org, FreeBSD Ports List <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD cups ports

On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 11:46:14AM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:

>Anyhow, to go further, the cups-pstoraster program is based upon
>a terribly old version of ghostscript.  Now, I'll admit that I
>haven't finished learning all I need to know about this, but from
>what I read so far, I find that there is pretty miserable support
>for the HP deskjets there: no color and no use of any duplexers.
>In fact, it seems that none of the suuported printers from
>cups-pstoraster support any color printing at all.

I'm afraid you're incorrect in your assumptions about how cups
works.

cups-pstoraster provides absolutely no printer drivers whatsoever.
it only knows about 1 output format: the neutral, intermediate,
raster format that is then converted to the printer's language.

For this reason, you cannot replace pstoraster with another version
of ghostscript. espgs (in /usr/local/bin) has the "cups" output
driver (and that's *all* it has).

>My comment is that there is no mention of the fact that it's
>possible (and seems pretty desirable) to replace cups-pstoraster

It is neither possible nor desirable to replace pstoraster. This
statment was made based based on a false assumption.

>Can I suggest that one of two modifications be made?  One
>suggestion might be a comment detailing this info in a pkg-descr
>file.  Another would be breaking the depends link in cups-lpr,
>and instead printing out a comment detailing the dependency, and
>showing the available choices.

May I suggest that you understand how something works before you
proceed to criticize it and tell me how to change it?

No changes of the nature you request will be made, as they would
be incorrect. No patches breaking the dependency relationships will
be accepted. No patches to change the components in pstoraster will
be accepted, either.

--
Alan Eldridge
Unix/C(++) IT Pro, 20 yrs, seeking new employment.