Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 08:25:01 +1100 (EDT)
From:      Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
To:        zhihuizhang <bf20761@binghamton.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A multi-OS Installation of FreeBSD 2.2.8

On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, zhihuizhang wrote:

> I have posted similar messages some time ago and I have not figured out my
> problem since then.  My machine already has Windows-NT, DOS, Linux
> installed on it. I tried to install FreeBSD at the last primary partition
> which is 1.4Gig. Everthing went soomthly except when I reboot the machine
> and let system commander to choose the partion labeled as BSD to boot
> from, I got the "read error" message and the system hangs.

Have you tried using a boot floppy and attempting to mount the hard disk
partition containing your FreeBSD installation?  This might give an
indication as to whether your machine's BIOS or System Commander
doesn't like the FreeBSD partition or there's some other problem.

> My question is: (1) Does the order of installation affect the co-existence
> of these OSs?

It is usually best to install MS products first, because they have the
nasty tendency of deleting any reference to non-MS products from the MBR.
Otherwise no.

>  (2) Do we have to put FreeBSD at the front of the disk?

The only thing that comes to mind is that there is/was a requirement that
bootable partitions (or perhaps the OS boot code at least) had to be
within the first 1024 cylinders.  Depending on the BIOS settings, some
BIOSes remap drive geometries so that the whole disk appears to
unsophisticated boot code/OSes to have <=1024 cylinders, which avoids the
problem.  I don't know whether System Commander is capable of working
around such BIOS limitations.  You also don't say how big the drive is -
if its greater than 8.4GB (which will remap to >255 heads with 1024
cylinders) then its not inconceivable this might be part of your problem.
FreeBSD 2.2.8 itself will not have any problems with such a large drive
though.

E-mail: andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Fido:   Andrew MacIntyre, 3:620/243.18        |        Australia