Date:      Mon, 16 Jun 1997 10:34:08 +1000 (Sydney Standard Time)
From:      Peter Champas <ingold@besys.net.au>
To:        chaos@tgci.com
Cc:        Richard Laxton <richard@real.net.au>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: large number of file handles open

On Sun, 15 Jun 1997, Riley J. McIntire wrote:

> > From:          jivko@ijs.com
> > At 06:45 AM 6/16/97 +1000, Richard Laxton wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > On another topic: Have any of you had any problems running FreeBSD on a
> > COMPAQ machine (P133)? I discovered yesterday that FreeBSD 2.1. would not
> > read the memory size properly and would use only 16MB on a COMPAQ machine
> > with 72MB. Recompiling the kernel with the memory size took care of the
> > problem, but I was wondering if it is just me or a typical problem with
> > COMPAQ.
> >
> > Jivko
> > Regards,
> >
> > Jivko Koltchev
>

> I don't have any hands on experience with fbsd/compaq but do recall
> a similar problem on a Compaq with, I think, 32 MB ram.
>
> Additionally, doesn't any fbsd machine require a recompile for >64
> MB?

Yep

Put this options in the kernel.. :)

          options "MAXMEM=<n>"

Where n is your memory in Kilobytes. For a 128 MB machine, you'd want to
use 131072

BTW: this is straght out of the faq:
http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ120.html

| Peter Champas                      |           peter@besys.net.au    |
| Business Environment Systems       |           ph: 0419 337 370      |
| I don't demand perfection, just something that's reasonably reliable |