Date:      Thu, 7 Oct 1999 13:30:14 +1000
From:      "Hugh Blandford" <hugh@island.net.au>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Installation problem installing 3.x

Hi all,

I'm very puzzled by this.  I am trying to install a machine with 3.3 using
the ISO image.  However, I am running into difficulties.  Earlier, I tried
the Walnut Creek 3.2 CDs and have not been able to continue past the same
point that I get stuck in 3.3.

I am setting up a very old machine.  It is fine however, because I can
install 2.2.8 on it with no difficulties at all using the same method that I
am trying to install 3.x.  I do an install from another FreeBSD box with the
CD mounted under my home directory.

Therefore, I am installing across the LAN using FTP.  I must have the disk
geometry correct because 2.2.8 goes in fine with no problems.

Under 3.x the install goes fine.  It does the newfs etc etc it connects to
the FTP server and downloads the initial file and then as soon as it goes to
extract bin/bin.aa it stops.  It will then sit there forever :(((  Any
suggestions?  It does this under both 3.2 and 3.3.

Regards,

Hugh Blandford