Date:      Sat, 14 Mar 1998 12:36:36 -0500
From:      Cory Kempf <ckempf@enigami.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Today's kernel doesn't work on (my) DK440LX

Hi all,
I had a (mostly) working kernel based on 10 March sources. Today, 'round 2
PM EST, I sup'd again, and built the world.

I can no longer build a (mostly) working kernel.

My system seems to be dependent on the line:

	config		kernel  root on da0 swap on generic

In my kernel config file.  Especially the 'swap on generic' part.  If I
take it out, or replace it with anything I have tried so far, my kernel
doesn't work at all.  If I attempt to boot, the system attempts to change
root to wd0s2b, and I get a Fatal Trap 12.  Doing a trace says that it is
happening in _ffs_mount().

In my (mostly) working kernel, I can succussfully boot only when I type

	'0:sd(0,a)/kernel -a'

at the boot prompt.  Anything else, and I get the same fatal trap 12 in
_ffs_mount().  I suspect this may be related, which is why I bring it up.

Unfortunately, today's sources don't seem to allow the 'swap on generic'
anymore.

Perhaps I am looking in the wrong places, but I can't seem to find any
documentation as to what "swap on generic" means and what I should replace
it with.

help?

Suggestions?

Thanks,

+C

My hardware:

DK440LX m'board, 333 MHz PII, 128 MB RAM, Seagate Cheetah 9 GB UW SCSI
drive (bus A ID 0 LUN 0), Toshiba  32X CD ROM drive (bus B ID 1 LUN 0), No
Nine I-128 series 2 video board.

My config file:

(this doesn't work... I have been trying to figure out why, and how to fix,
but the swap on generic seems to be the problem).

#
# DM
#

machine		"i386"
#cpu		"I586_CPU"
cpu		"I686_CPU"
ident		CORY_II
maxusers	32

options		INET			#InterNETworking
options		FFS			#Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options		NFS			#Network Filesystem
#options		MFS
options		"CD9660"		#ISO 9660 Filesystem
options		PROCFS			#Process filesystem
options		"COMPAT_43"		#Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options		UCONSOLE		#Allow users to grab the console
options		KTRACE			#kernel tracing

options		SYSVSHM
options		DDB
options		"AHC_ALLOW_MEMIO"

#
# The following line generates an error at config(8) time...
#
#options		"PQ_MEDIUMCACHE"
options		CONSPEED=115200		#default speed for serial console
options		USERCONFIG
options		VISUAL_USERCONFIG

#
# swap on generic isn't in LINT.  Without it, or with swap on da0,
# it builds, but doesn't work.
#
config		kernel	root on da0s1a swap on da0
#swap on generic

controller	isa0
controller	pci0
controller      pnp0

controller	fdc0	at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
disk		fd0	at fdc0 drive 0

controller	ahc0

controller	scbus0 at ahc0 bus 0
controller	scbus1 at ahc0 bus 1

#device		sa0	#tape
device		pass0

device		da0 at scbus0 target 0
#device		cd0 at scbus1 target 1

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device		sc0	at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr

# Mandatory, don't remove
device		npx0	at isa? port "IO_NPX" irq 13 vector npxintr

device		psm0	at isa? port "IO_KBD" conflicts tty irq 12 vector
psmintr
#device		sio0	at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr
#device		sio1	at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr

#device		lpt0	at isa? port? tty irq 7 vector lptintr

device		fxp0	#ether

pseudo-device	loop
pseudo-device	ether
pseudo-device	pty		16
#pseudo-device	bpfilter	4
#pseudo-device	tun	2
# keep this if you want to be able to continue to use /stand/sysinstall
pseudo-device	gzip		# Exec gzipped a.out's

#CORY:
controller	snd0
device		sb0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr
options		INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE
options		"MD5"
options		"VM86"
options		NETATALK
options		MSDOSFS
options		FFS_ROOT
pseudo-device	speaker

--
Thinking of purchasing RAM from the Chip Merchant?  Please read this first:
<http://www.enigami.com/~ckempf/chipmerchant.html>;

Cory Kempf                  Macintosh / Unix Consulting & Software Development
ckempf@enigami.com          <http://www.enigami.com/~ckempf/>;