Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 11:54:36 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>
To:        amour@blade.elitsat.net (Alexander)
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPXIP

> I have a serious question to ask.
>
> I have 2 gamehalls. Both of them are on masq. networks.
> And I need to make them to play games over IPX.
> for linux there are a lot of demons for ipx routing, but I don't know what
> are for freebsd.
> So here is what I did:
>
> 	1. on both routers I compiled:
> options IPTUNNEL IPXIP and IPX
>
> 	2. added the following lines in /etc/rc.conf:
> ifconfig_rl0_ipx="ipx 0x00000000"      # Sample IPX address family entry.
                        ^^^^^^^^^

> ipxgateway_enable="YES"         # Set to YES to enable IPX routing.
> ipxrouted_enable="YES"          # Set to YES to run the IPX routing daemon.
> ipxrouted_flags=""              # Flags for IPX routing daemon.

This should be enough to get IPXrouted running. You can also check the
routing table with "netstat -rnf ipx".

> 	3. did a tunnel over the both routers.
> on router1:
> nos-tun -t /dev/tun0 -s 172.100.100.1 -d 172.100.100.2 209.1.1.2
> on router2:
> nos-tun -t /dev/tun0 -s 172.100.100.2 -d 172.100.100.1 209.1.1.1
>
> 	4. did:
> on router1:
> ifconfig rl0 ipx 0x0 ipdst 172.100.100.1
                   ^^^^^

> on router2:
> ifconfig rl0 ipx 0x0 ipdst 172.100.100.2
                   ^^^^^

> and the results:
> on both sides I had interface:
>
> ipxip0: flags=11<UP,POINTOPOINT> mtu 1536
>         ipx 0.XXXXXXXXXX --> 0
             ^^^

IPX networking is similar to ipv4 networking in some respects. It also
needs unique network numbers for the different "subnets" to work, so
you need to use different network numbers and not 0x0 everywhere. What
is different is that the network number is a 32 bit number and not shared
with the host part as on ipv4.

> but when a user on the one gamehall creates a game (using Starcraft (LAN))
> the other gamehall couldn't join.
>
> So this means that my configurations didn't work.
> I tried to change ipdst on both sides to point not to source but dest
> but this didn't help.
>
> If you know how can I make this, please tell me.
> I've tried to find some documentations about IPXIP or IPXrouted but I
> found nothing.

Look in the old mail archives because I did explain it (IPXIP usage) a
loooong time ago. IPXrouted should be straight forward it does have a
man page and normally does not need configuration. You just start it
and it does its thing, much like routed.

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@icomtek.csir.co.za / jhay@FreeBSD.org