Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 1999 13:47:23 +0100 (CET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
To:        Bill Swingle <unfurl@dub.net>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: soundcards needed to further newpcm development

> Hello all,
>
> In an attempt to help Cameron get newpcm to support widest array of
> soundcards available we're trying to collect as many as possible for
> testing and development.

if i ever manage to run a -current, i will be probably able to
help doing some testing.
Let me understand though, are you collecting the boards for
delivery to cameron, or you plan to do the testing yourself ?
In the former case, people (especially from europe)
might prefer to send cards directly to cameron...

Speaking of chipset and support: i would try to prioritise work as
some of the chips listed are so old that supporting them is
practically useless.

> cs4231                          no              no              yes

the 4231 is only a codec, i think it lacks the ISA interface chip
which is different on different cards and needs special initialization
in some cases.

> opti925                         no              no              yes
> opti931                         no              no              yes

i have the data sheets for the 931 and probably 925, they are ps/pdf files
sio i can mail them to cameron.

> yamaha ymf711                   no              yes             ?
> yamaha ymf715                   no              yes             ?
> yamaha ymf719                   no              no              ?

the 711 and 715 are supported in the old "pcm" driver -- apart
from a couple of register writes to set the mixer volume, it is
a fairly good emulation of the 4232 so it works well. The 719
is undocumented andunfortunately some of the undocumented
pieces refer to the control of the mixer.

	cheers
	luigi