Date:      Wed, 02 Jul 2003 07:02:26 -0700
From:      Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipprecedence

Eugene Grosbein wrote:

> Suppose, we have a router running FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE.
> Some of transit IP-packets have non-zero IP Precedence.
> Is it possible to set up the router to rearrange interface queues
> so that such packets are sent first?

It seems to me you could use dummynet/ipfw2 to provide a
stronge PREFERENCE for packets w/non-zero precedence --
the fairness aspect of dummynet queues works against your
stated aim,  but probabilistically you could pass all
such packets ahead of others.  The fairness guarantee
means that, even if you had a steady stream of non-zero
precedence packets, some others would be transmitted.