Date:      Fri, 12 May 2000 07:43:09 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Martin Kammerhofer <dada@sbox.tu-graz.ac.at>
To:        "Justin C. Walker" <justin@apple.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SO_RCVTIMEO values

On 09.05.00  Justin C. Walker wrote:

: I pawed through the archives looking for 'SO_RCVTIMEO' and
: 'sb_timeo', and couldn't find anything of interest (a lot of hits on
: mail from folks at 'sb.net', tho :-}).
:
: Is there a reason to keep this value as a short?  There's the
: obvious ones of binary compatibility (for kernel plug-ins, at least),
: and "that's the way it's always been done", but I don't see any good
: ones.
:

About a year ago I suggested along with PR 11252 (now closed) to change
sb_timeo from short to int. Someone stated that it's a bad idea because of
size and alignment issues but I don't know how to verify that argument.
(Potentially the kernel has to keep _a_lot_ of struct sockbufs, but 4
bytes extra per socket should sum up to a few KB only.)

Martin