Date:      Mon, 28 Apr 1997 05:30:06 -0400
From:      Michael Alwan <alwan@rma.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: qic-80 floppy tape not detected

>Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 05:27:21 -0400
>To: Joel Sutton <sutton@aardvark.apana.org.au>
>From: Michael Alwan <alwan@rma.edu>
>Subject: Re: qic-80 floppy tape not detected
 <335D8C12.7FE419E1@rma.edu> >

>At 01:59 PM 4/28/97 +1000, you wrote:
>>Michael,
>>
> You'll need to recompile your kernel and change your
>>floppy drive section to something similar to mine:
>>
>># Floppy Drive and Colorado Jumbo 350
>>#
>>controller   fdc0 at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio flags 1 irq 6 drq 2 vector
fdintr
>>disk	     fd0  at fdc0 drive 0
>>disk         fd1  at fdc0 drive 1
>>tape	     ft0  at fdc0 drive 2
>>
>>Note the flags keyword in the controller entry. Also, fd1 is
>>necessary even if you don't have two floppys (like me). Check out the
>>handbook for info on customizing your kernel.
>>
>>> Trying to mount
>>> the tape drive (mount /dev/ft0 /mnt) gives me a "device not configured"
>>> message.  I've made the device in /dev.
>>
>>Since you've gone with a qic-80 drive you will only be able to use
>>the "ft" and "lft" programs to put/get data onto those drives. Mount
>>is definitely out. Search the mail archives for the location of lft
>>(I can't find a reference just at the moment) - it works pretty well
>>for me on my Colorado 350.
>>
>>What sort of drive do you have?
>>
>>Hope this helps and good luck, Joel...
>>

>Joel:
>
>The FreeBSD FAQ says to add flags 0x1 (as opposed to flags 1) to the fdc0
line in the kernel.  Are they the same?  If I use the -c option at boot up
and use the visual configuration utility to set the flags for fdc0, it only
allows me to use the form 0x1, 0x2, 0x*, etc.

>Haven't been able to find the "lft" program at ftp.freebsd.org, and it
doesn't seem to have been mentioned in the archives since about June '96.
If you come across it, let me know!

>My tape drive is an MEI 250 ("Manufactured by Iomega")--just a generic
name pasted onto an Iomega 250. It works with the Ditto pc backup tools.
Maybe next year I can afford something better!