Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2012 11:20:40 -0800
From:      Oleksandr Tymoshenko <gonzo@bluezbox.com>
To:        George Mitchell <george+freebsd@m5p.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on Raspberry Pi 512MB (with U-Boot + ubldr)

On 11/29/2012 5:37 PM, George Mitchell wrote:
.. skipped ..
> I'm a newcomer to the Raspberry Pi, but I've been running FreeBSD for
> over fifteen years.  Since I don't have a Pi yet, I am trying to
> emulate one with qemu.  Here is the command line I'm currently trying:
>
> qemu-system-arm -cpu arm1136-r2 -m 256 -M versatilepb -serial stdio
> -hda freebsd-pi-20121130.img.gz
>
> It tells me "Kernel image must be specified".  How can I get a kernel
> image to satisfy this request?

     Unfortunately this image is not suitable for qemu. qemu emulates
versatile platform board which is
hardware-wise is completely different from raspberry pi. All they have
in common is CPU.  Both Pi
and qemu can run same userland  but kernel should be compiled for each
platform individually.

I'm woking on VersatilPB support for FreeBSD since it can make good
kernel development
and package building platform. No clear estimates for it though:
  http://pastebin.ca/2255232