Date:      Mon, 08 Mar 2004 17:22:46 -0500
From:      Todd Denniston <Todd.Denniston@ssa.crane.navy.mil>
To:        Karl-Heinz Herrmann <kh1dump@khherrmann.de>
Cc:        aic7xxx@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TCQ depth -- manual override?

Karl-Heinz Herrmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an adatec 2940UW with an aasortment of older SCSI drives. One of
> these drives always made trouble with TCQ enabled and I had an override
> like:
>
> append="aic7xxx=ultra,tag_info:{{0,1,0,0,16,0,1,0}}"
>
> in lilo.conf. That was with kernel 2.2 -- now I'm running a 2.4.21
> (SuSE) and it's ignoring the tag setting.
>
> something like this doesn't help either.
>
> aic7xxx=verbose,global_tag_depth:1,tag_info:{{1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1}{1,1,1,1,
> 1,1,1}}
>
> I wouldn't mind if the system would run stable -- but I've frequent lock
> ups with no output whatsoever and a SCSI acces LED on. Always on heavy
> SCSI I/O. I did rearrange the drives at the same time the kernel change
> happened, so there might be another reason for the locks, but as I had
> something similar and restricting TCQ like above helped that's the first
> thing I would like to try.
>
> Any hints on the new syntax?
>
> K.-H.
Wed Feb 25 10:24:57 PST 2004
Mr. Gibbs informed me that quoting, or periods might be needed:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/aic7xxx/2004-February/004095.html

On the fedora core-1 box I am running, putting the following in
/etc/modules.conf gets me what I wanted:
options aic7xxx aic7xxx=verbose.global_tag_depth:1

perhaps append="aic7xxx=verbose.global_tag_depth:1" would work for you.
Also if I read the documentation correctly
'tag_info:{{1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1}{1,1,1,1,1,1,1}}' would be redundant after setting
'global_tag_depth:1'.
One last note, I am currently running
"Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.3.5"
downloaded from:
http://people.freebsd.org/~gibbs/linux/
http://people.freebsd.org/~gibbs/linux/SRC/aic79xx-linux-2.4-20040209-tar.gz

good luck.