Date:      Fri, 05 Jun 1998 14:56:46 -0500
From:      Bob Van Valzah <Bob@WhiteBarn.com>
To:        freebsd-atm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Efficient Networks Speedstream 3010 Support?

I've signed up for Ameritech's ADSL service.  Of course, they support
only Win 95 but I'd like to run FreeBSD.

The service is delivered via ATM-25 to a Speedstream 3010 from Efficient
Networks and uses their CIP driver for Win 95.

I see FreeBSD has support for the ENI ATM-155 LAN board but I'm trying
to get a handle on how much work it'll be for me to use FreeBSD with
this service.  Here're the questions that spring to mind:

Are there any fundamental differences between ATM-155 (which seems to be
intended for LANs) and ATM-25 (which seems to be intended for xDSL).
Www.efficient.com seems to make a pretty sharp division, but I'm new to
ATM and don't know what to make of this.

Does the existing FreeBSD driver use CIP, PPP, or something else?  I see
that ENI supports CIP and PPP for this board.  Ameritech is using CIP
today because that's all the Alcatel modem supports today.  This fall,
they plan to move to PPP with new Alcatel modems.

How hard is it going to be to adapt a driver for ENI's ATM-155 board for
their ATM-25 board?  I'm not afraid of adapting the existing driver or
writing one from scratch--at this point I'm just trying to get a handle
on how hard it's going to be.

	Thanks for any answers or insight you can provide.

	Bob