Date:      Sun, 27 Jan 2002 12:31:37 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        Rick Eisner <rick_eisner@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't find a mouse

On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 05:51:57PM -0800, Rick Eisner wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm trying to get started with FreeBSD (I bought the book "FreeBSD
> Unleashed"). So this is very much a beginner's question.
>
> I tried to set up my installation, but could not find my mouse during
> the install. I have a USB connected keyboard and a USB connected
> mouse (a Kensington Turboring, to be precise). The mouse is detected
> on startup as a Kensington Turboring. But the system won't recognize
> that I have a mouse at all.
>
> I've gone through XF86Setup several times, but can't get the computer
> to recognize the mouse in any way.
>
> I'd appreciate any help you could give.

I suggest reading the moused(8) and ums(4) man pages -- these explain the
settings that should get most USB mice working on the console and in X.

It might be worth trying to get the mouse working on the console first,
before dealing with X.  Something like:

	moused -p /dev/ums0 -t auto

will hopefully bring it to life.  You'll then want to set the appropriate
variables in /etc/rc.conf so that the mouse is configured at boot time
(/stand/sysinstall may know how to do this, but I'm not sure it knows about
USB mice).  Try:

	moused_enable="YES"
	moused_port="/dev/ums0"

Once that's done, you should be able to get it working in X using the
directions towards the bottom of the ums(4) manpage.  You want the lines
for XFree86 3.3.x, unless you've upgraded to XFree86 4 yourself.

HTH,

	Scott