Date:      Thu, 08 Nov 2012 19:49:22 +0200
From:      Daniel Kalchev <daniel@digsys.bg>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   zfs remove vdev functionality

I was thinking on how to implement vdev removal on ZFS and came to this
idea:

If we can have an per-vdev flag that prohibits new allocations on the
vdev, but permits reads and frees - then we could mark so  the vdev we
intend to remove form the zpool and issue an scrub-like command that
will rewrite all blocks allocated form that particular vdev. Since ZFS
is COW, this will effectively move all blocks off that "no write" vdev
and we can now detach it.

All this could be implemented with the new ZFS feature flags, so no
version bumps etc are necessary.

Is there something I didn't think of?

Daniel