Date:      26 Nov 1998 08:55:45 +0000
From:      Rainer Keuchel <r_keuchel@smaug.netwave.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Boot problems

Greets!

I have managed to install 4.4 FreeBSD 2.2.7 (Walnut Creek) on my 4th
SCSI-Disk, which is on my second SCSI controller. I modified
fbsdboot.exe to load the kernel from a DOS partition and
set the root device to major 4, unit 4, slice 0, partition 0.
The kernel boots ok, finds the root device and mounts it ro.

  Changing rootdevice to sd4a
  swapon: adding /devsds41b as swap device
  Automatic reboot in progress...
  /dev/rsd4s1a: clean ...

But when rc wants to remount it rw, the following message appears:

  /dev/sd4s1a on /: Specified device does not match mounted device
  Filesystem mount failed, startup aborted, specify shell...

Also trying to remount it on / manually fails, but mounting it on
another mountpoint works...

When the system is not cleanly shutdown, after fsck I get the message
that the root fs would not be clean, although fsck did not report
any errors...

What may be wrong???
--
Rainer Keuchel