Date:      Wed, 13 May 2009 23:38:29 +0200
From:      Christian Brueffer <brueffer@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.net>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org, Stefan Lambrev <stefan.lambrev@moneybookers.com>
Subject:   Re: MAC locking and filtering in FreeBSD

--3MwIy2ne0vdjdPXF

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 01:03:20PM -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> Stefan:
>=20
> You are correct: This is not real security. In fact, I would argue that i=
t's not security at all.=20
>=20
> But many businesses that have to maintain hotspots -- especially some hot=
el chains -- are "allergic" to any sort of serious security. This is becaus=
e a small but vocal subset of their customers just want to get on the Net a=
nd complain about any sort of security. Even having to enter a password or =
a WEP key irks them. (I personally think that these people are ignorant foo=
ls and are setting themselves up for identity theft and worse, but that's j=
ust me. And the businesses seem more willing to allow piracy of their Wi-Fi=
 than to irritate these boneheads.) Also, these systems have to be usable b=
y some fairly lame devices -- e.g. an XBox -- that aren't really computers =
and don't have the capability to run secure protocols or even a particularl=
y good Web browser built in.
>=20
> So, painful as it is, I have to help these guys implement systems which "=
bless" MAC addresses. The "arp -s" command can sort of lock an IP to a MAC =
address, but awkwardly and only for outbound packets. What I'd like is to g=
et this into the firewall, so I can not only block spoofing but trigger a l=
og entry when it happens.
>=20

Sounds like wlan_acl(4) may be of interest to you.

- Christian

--=20
Christian Brueffer	chris@unixpages.org	brueffer@FreeBSD.org
GPG Key:	 http://people.freebsd.org/~brueffer/brueffer.key.asc
GPG Fingerprint: A5C8 2099 19FF AACA F41B  B29B 6C76 178C A0ED 982D

--3MwIy2ne0vdjdPXF

--3MwIy2ne0vdjdPXF--